By: Nancy Evans, RN, BSN, CH
The purpose of this class is to teach you an easy way to share healing energy with yourself and those you care about. Please understand that while I am simplifying things, it in no way diminishes what is possible when you show up for yourself and/or others in this way.
We will cover:
1. The nature of healing energy
2. How thoughts and emotions affect our energy field
3. Using the power of intention to focus energy
4. How to access and focus loving energy for healing
5. Hand positions for self-healing
6. Providing healing energy for others in person
7. Providing healing energy from a distance
1. The Nature of Healing Energy
There are many forms of unseen energy on our planet that we take for granted. Radio waves, Microwaves, X-rays, solar waves, sound waves...
The physical body is created from and supported by subtle energies. They are called subtle because they are not typically seen or measured. The three major categories of subtle energies are:
All of these subtle energies are constantly moving and contain information and so in this context we can think of Energy as "Information in Motion.”
When there is an imbalance in the physical body (either physical, emotional, mental or spiritual) there is also an imbalance in our subtle energies. An imbalance (or block) occurs when we are out of alignment with our true essence. There are many ways we can become out of balance with our true essence! Trauma, stress, incorrect thinking, what we eat or drink, are just a few examples.
2. How Thoughts and Emotions Influence our Subtle Energies
We are powerful creators and we create from our beliefs which are then reflected through our thoughts and emotions. Many of our beliefs are acquired while in utero through about age 6, before the logical hemisphere of our brain is developed. This means that some of those beliefs are not even true. These untrue beliefs run in the background of the brain and lead to thoughts and emotions that seem true but are based on untrue beliefs. That is why it can be valuable to question your beliefs.
Our thoughts can be on a spectrum from very negative (low frequency) to very positive (high frequency) and emotions reflect a wide range of feelings which can take us down or lift us up. (I am simplifying.)
The point is that our beliefs, thoughts, and emotions are powerful and have a large effect on the state of our energy, which has a powerful effect on how we feel physically. So, when we are offering energy work to ourselves or someone else, it’s important to maintain positive intentions, positive thoughts, and emotions. We do that by connecting to a high frequency of loving energy that has no hidden agendas. It is pure Love.
3. Using the Power of Intention to Focus Energy
Since our thoughts and beliefs have such a powerful effect on our energy, it is necessary to be clear about the intention you are setting for the energy work session.
For example: If you are feeling anxious or fearful, your intention might be to instead feel safe and calm. Or, if you are feeling anger, you may want to feel patience. Or if you have pain, you may want to feel ease of movement and flexibility.
So, as you are beginning the energy work session, you might state:
4. How to Access and Focus Loving Energy for Healing
1. Rub your palms together vigorously for about 5 seconds. Then hold your hands, palms facing each other about 4 inches apart and slightly move your hands to feel the energy between them. Repeat this a few times if needed.
2. Continue to feel the energy between your hands as you move your hands back and forth while imagining a pink sphere of light floating between your hands. Slowly move your hands further apart and focus on the sphere as it grows in size. Repeat this exercise as needed to enhance your awareness of feeling the energy.
3. Preparation for offering Energy Work:
Sitting (or standing) with your spine erect:
a. Bring your awareness to your heart and become aware of the breath as it moves in and out of your heart
b. Become aware of a golden sphere of energy gently centered in your heart
c. Take your time and allow the awareness of this pure loving energy filling you full of unconditional love
d. Feel the energy of the golden sphere begin to spread down into your arms and hands
e. Place one hand on your heart and the other on your belly and allow the energy to flow or begin your energy session as you wish
5. Suggested Hand Positions for Self-Healing
Please understand that the following hand position descriptions are only suggestions and you may feel led to do something entirely different. Please pay attention to your intuition. While the hands are held on the front of the body, the energy is being received throughout the entire body.
Find a comfortable space where you can sit and be uninterrupted if possible. Silently state your intention and follow the directions for #3 above and then proceed starting with #1 below:
1. Place your hands gently over your eyes until you feel ready to move to the next position.
2. Place one hand on your forehead and the other on the back of your head.
3. Place one hand over each cheek (side of face) with fingers over the temples and the thumb under the ears.
4. Place one hand gently over the throat and the other over the heart.
5. Move the hand over the throat to rest on the solar plexus (just under the ribs,) leaving the hand over the heart in place.
6. Move the hand over the heart to the lower abdomen (between the pubic bone and the navel) leaving the hand on the solar plexus in place.
7. Place your right hand on your right thigh and your left hand on the left thigh.
8. Place one hand on each knee.
9. Place one hand on each calf.
10. Place one hand on each ankle.
11. Place one hand on each foot. Or hold each foot with both hands.
12. If there is an area of pain on your body that needs extra attention, place your hands there now.
13. Bring your hands to prayer position at the heart and give thanks for the help of the loving energy as your close your session. Spend time in meditation if desired.
6. Providing Healing Energy for Others in Person
While you can use the same hand positions when doing energy work for others as you do for yourself, there are a few important things to note:
1. It is important to have permission from the recipient. Not everyone is open to receiving energy work and it is important to respect their wishes.
2. Ask the recipient what they would like to work on and set the intention as described in
3. Energy work for another may be done with hands off the body a couple of inches or with hands on the body.
4. Ask for permission before covering someone’s eyes.
5. If hands on, be sure to avoid touching private areas.
6. If possible, have the person supine, face up on the edge of a bed (unless you have a massage table) and do everything possible to protect your back while working. You might consider using a chair.
7. Providing Healing Energy from a Distance
If you are not able to contact the recipient to ask for their permission, set the intention that the energy will go to someone who needs it if the intended person is not open to receive the energy. Then center yourself and set your intention as in section 4 - #3, stating clearly who you intend to receive the energy work. If you aren’t sure of the session’s intention, simply ask for the Most Benevolent Outcome. Then imagine that the person is suspended in air in front of where you are seated. Holding your hands in the air, imagining that you are holding the areas described above in Section 5. As you move down the body, imagine the body moving into position so that you can easily hold energy over the areas of the body.
If you prefer, you can use a stuffed teddy bear as a surrogate for the recipient. Just set the intention that the bear is a proxy for the recipient and hold the energy as above on the bear.
Thank you for taking the time to learn how to offer healing to yourself and others. Please know that as long as you are in a heart-full mental and emotional state of love and compassion for yourself and others while you offer the energy work, you cannot do anyone any harm. And you are doing a great deal of good! Our world needs all the love and caring we can offer, now more than ever! Thank you for showing up in this way!
These blog posts are written by our providers about topics they believe are important to help you get well and stay well. We hope you enjoy them!